CAMPING IN A WESTY

7/12/12

my (megan) hub and i have a '73 vw westfalia that we love to take camping. last summer sunset spent most of her time in the shop getting her engine rebuilt, so this summer we plan on having many bus adventures! we named our bus sunset because she is orange, and our first bus was named sunshine because she was yellow. a lot of people dream about owning a vw bus, and if you are one of them stop dreaming and go for it! old buses do require some love and patience, but they are well worth the time  and money. life is about having fun, right?

i am currently debating whether to stain the inside wood panels, or to paint a beautiful mural on the ceiling. what do you think? last summer we re-upholstered the seats and i sewed up some cute matching curtains. see my tutorials here and here! our bus has a bench seat that turns into a comfy bed, a child cot for the pop top, sink, fridge, and a little stow table for cooking and playing games. i love all the sneaky little storage areas for hanging clothes and stashing camping gear. also, there are three seat belts in our bus and we're pretty sure it has been remodeled.

owning a vw bus is not only fun to drive around town, but the westy makes camping easy! there's enough room for everything, including your surfboards and mountain bikes. nothing beats summer adventures with the windows rolled down and a cute pup on your lap!

9 comments

  1. I vote paint a mural! That would look awesome! Love your van adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always, always wanted a VW bus. After finding your blog(s), I have become even more obsessed with finding one for me! You're so right... They are worth the money. The adventures you have in them are priceless! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. is it expensive to fill up?
    can you guys make a road trip out to me....please!!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this!! I've been hunting for one for a little while, I'm still looking:-) I say paint a mural on ceiling AND stain the panels. Why not? Enjoy that pretty ride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. megan you are so cute! love your car and you :) what a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are so amazing, i LOVE your bus and how homey and adorable you have made it. can't wait for the sky mural :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks awesome and so much fun. I also have a question and hopefully you and the sisters can give some answers. I have been following your blog for some time now and I just thought of this question...can ya'll tell us (your readers) about your weddings and your love stories? I know it's about TRAVELING but I'm dying to know and being my age I would love to know since it looks as if you all got married pretty young and have sucessful marriages. ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, we are all happily married! you might find out freaky friday series interesting to learn more about us here: http://www.travelingtriplets.com/search/label/freaky%20friday more specifically this post should answer your questions about our love stories: http://www.travelingtriplets.com/2011/09/freaky-friday_09.html

      Delete

TRAVELING TRIPLETS. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.