TASTY TUESDAY

9/11/12

If you watched the VW bus video we just posted here, then you were probably wondering - how the heck did that paper bag not catch on fire?!?! Well, here's my story. 

It did. 

HA! 


I won't lie about it. You don't get everything right the first time, and this was certainly no exception. But, I learned from my mistakes and that is why I'm here to teach YOU how to do it right next time you're camping! That way you'll be a bit more pleased than I was. 

First things first. 

You need a couple things. Keep it simple. You're camping, for goodness sakes. 

1. Eggs
2. Bacon (maple flavored is DELISH)
3. Brown paper bags 
4. Salt and pepper to taste
5. Franks Red Hot Sauce or Tabasco (I like a kick)
6. Green onions or cilantro for garnish (clearly I'm too lazy)

It's as easy as 1, 2, 3. Dump it all into the bag. You saw me do it in the video. Watch it again here if you need to refresh your memory. Punch a little hole in the bag after you roll it up at the top with a stick. The trick of the game is to hold the bag HIGH above the fire. It will take you quite a while, so be patient and let the food cook slowly. That's that! In a snap! 

Note: I held mine too close the first time and of course, consequently, it caught on fire. I have a pretty hilarious video clip of that little escapade, haha. It was quite funny. Makes me wonder if all those perfect foodies and bloggers out there with the most gorgeous creations ever have beautiful food go terribly awry. I like to think that yes, we all make mistakes in the kitchen or otherwise, especially when trying to make food real nice 'n pretty in a new and creative way. But isn't that the fun in it? Next time you're camping try this eggs and bacon in a bag trick, and see how yours turns out! Good luck! 


6 comments

  1. haha too funny ky! glad to hear we are all human! looks delicious, we will def try next time we camp. thanks for the post today ky ky :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:53 PM

    I'm glad you posted this because i thought the same thing : How the HECK did that bag not light on fire!! I thought you had magical camping powers! Love it! Going to try at our next bonfire :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is genius! i love this idea. so simple and no mess, at least, if you do it carefully! i need to try this!! :) thanks for sharing! and i loved the video!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahaha I love that this didn't go perfectly, and to your credit, it sure looked like it did. ;) Thank you so much for the recipe. It's definitely something we'll be trying soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting idea! We had bacon hijinks at our campsite this morning too... a very sneaky bird took off with a gigantic piece of meat. It was so big he kept hitting it against the ground in an attempt to figure out what to do with it! I'm thinking that had it been in a paper bag the bird wouldn't have been so lucky!

    ReplyDelete

TRAVELING TRIPLETS. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.